GEC’s testing laboratory has achieved a number of certifications and accreditations. GEC meets the stringent requirements of ASTM E329. ASTM E329 (Standard Specification for agencies Engaged in the Testing and/or Inspection of Materials Used in Construction) is a lengthy document that details the qualifications for an inspection agency and laboratory personnel. It also specifies the technical requirements for the equipment and procedures used in testing and inspection of construction materials.
GEC’s in-house testing lab has achieved accreditation or certification by several agencies:
- The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) – the primary accreditation body for construction material testing in the United States.
- Cement and Concrete Reference Laboratory (CCRL), an agency committed to the improvement of quality testing in the construction materials industry through laboratory assessments, proficiency samples, instruction, guidance, and clarification of ASTM standards.
- U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USCOE). The Corps validation is performed in accordance with ER 1110-1-261, which defines the requirements for the QA testing procedures for agencies that wish to work on Corps of Engineers funded projects.
GEC engineering technicians also participate in a number of qualifications programs. These include:
- American Concrete Institute (ACI)
- National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET)
- American Society of Testing Materials (ASTM)
- International Code Council (ICO)
- Georgia Department of Transportation (GDOT)
- Georgia Soil and Water Conservation Commission (GSWCC)
All of our technicians are required to be certified in one or more of the above organizations.
Our in-house laboratory can perform a variety of soil, concrete and aggregate tests. Examples include:
Soil Testing and Analysis
- Standard or Modified Proctor
- Grain-size Wash 200
- Unit weight
- Specific gravity
- Soil Moisture
- Hydraulic conductivity
- Unconfined compressive strength
- California Bearing Ratio
- Plasticity index
- Constant Head Permeability
- Particle Size Analysis
- Specific gravity
- Hygroscopic Moisture
- Unit Weight
Asphalt & Concrete
- Concrete Mix Design & Verification
- Concrete Compressive & Flexural Strength
- Swiss Hammer or Windsor Probe testing
- Concrete or Asphalt coring
- Asphalt Absorption
- Asphalt Mix design & verification
- Asphalt bulk density
- Marshall Stability & Flow
- Asphalt Specific Gravity
Contact GEC when you need materials testing from a certified laboratory.